I woke up around 8:30 after having a dream about waking up at 6 AM to go to Yoga.. have no idea, but what a strange dream! I, being the only person at the hotel, was greeted by the store employees and ordered an authentic Colombian breakfast of tamal with steak. It was good - a bit too much cornmeal, but most of the food here is like that... I'm used to heavy meats and spices, salsa, etc. living in Mexico.
I set out of the hotel and caught my first glimpse of the Sierra Nevada mountains and the rustic architecture of the town. There were people scattering around on this Monday morning. Schoolchildren were singing and trucks were driving fast on the cobblestone streets. The homes were all whitewashed with red-thatched roofs.. a colonial scenescape that would be perfect for a period hollywood movie. Actually, a few were shot here and many spanish soap operas could be found shooting here.
Nestled in a very catholic country, three different churches were scattered across town, including a beautiful building right on the square. The square looked like any in Cuba or Mexico - with a park and statues. The churches were adorned with the traditional Santanderian architecture, including clay roofs with wooden beams. A few artisanal shops and convenience stores added to a very active town.
A few interesting insights about Colombia thus far: In Mexico, I would be stared out at all times, especially when speaking English in town. When I was in Bogota, people didn't even flinch when I was speaking with friends. On the surface, people aren't as friendly or smile at you. However, once you start talking to them, they are as friendly as any other culture. When I was waiting to board the plane to Barracamunga and asked about the Dunkin Donuts, so many people came up to me and were happy that I was going there, offering advice.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
Location:Barichara, Colombia
No comments:
Post a Comment